2014 AHRMA Schedule

Moderators: spargo19, SteveThompson

2014 AHRMA Schedule

Postby DanMay » Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:31 pm

I see Barber has already announced the 2014 Vintage Festival http://www.barbervintagefestival.org/ for October 10-12 2014.

Any hints yet on the rest of the 2014 AHRMA Road Race Schedule ?
Daniel May
AHRMA #934 - '72 BMW R50/5, '82 BMW R65LS
ECTA #9348 - '54 BMW R25/3
DanMay

Re: 2014 AHRMA Schedule

Postby Hatman » Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:43 pm

The RRD and the ED are finalizing. They are almost always locked down and able to publish sometime in November.
Mark Hatten
Consistently performing in the upper echelon of mediocrity
Hatman

Postby T.Read » Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:01 am

I heard at the track that Roebling is back as the opener and Nola back to back with it. That's all I heard though. Think New Jersey is back also in July maybe.
Tony Read
AHRMA 176

'73 T140
T.Read

Postby carl849 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:29 am

T.Read wrote:I heard at the track that Roebling is back as the opener and Nola back to back with it. That's all I heard though. Think New Jersey is back also in July maybe.

Close Tony, but not back to back. There's a couple weeks between if the preliminary that we saw firms up.
Carl Anderson
AHRMA roadracer 79
AHRMA dirt track 84R
carl849

Postby SteveThompson » Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:53 pm

carl849 wrote:There's a couple weeks between if the preliminary that we saw firms up.

Oh my god. That's so stupid.

I wanted to be first.
Steve Thompson
Honda RS125
AHRMA #22R
WERA Expert #221
Owner of "AHRMA's best looking bowling team"
SteveThompson
Site Admin

Postby carl849 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:27 pm

I guess it depends on whether you're traveling huge distances. I works great for me to have two weekends off (minimum) between the races, so I can catch back up at work. Otherwise, I end up skipping races in my home region because of the B2B, which is why I've been unable to attend Daytona the past few years.
Carl Anderson
AHRMA roadracer 79
AHRMA dirt track 84R
carl849

Postby spargo19 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:28 pm

What Carl said.

The VAST majority of AHRMA racers can't just blow two weeks to go racing, which is what it takes to do that trip. Same reason I can't do Daytona since it went to the fall.

Somebody needs to wander the pits and take a poll on this one. I'd love to finally see the data, we keep seeing these back to backs like this, and, well, they're a lot harder on the racers that travel than anybody realizes.
Christopher Spargo
Owner and racer of many two stroke motorcycles, among other maladies...
spargo19

Postby Hatman » Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:11 pm

Before we all get too bent out of shape, please keep in mind that the 2014 AHRMA schedule has not yet been released. So what "what I heard at the track", etc., is just that. But since Carl, who has seen the tentative schedule, weighed in, let me point out that there is four weeks between NOLA and Roebling. Hardly a back to back.

I know it's the off-season, which means we can look forward to five months of bitching, but maybe we should wait until the schedule is released before we start ripping into it?
Mark Hatten
Hatman

Postby Other Gordon » Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:14 pm

How about a back to back with the first event being on Monday and Tuesday and the second on the Sat/Sun. Is this doable? Tracks are there regardless of the day, but would lose revenue for a Mon/Tue event. Maybe a deal killer. Racers wouldn't be using up vacation days to get to a weekend only back to back. Discuss.

Gordon Hamilton
AHRMA #58r
Other Gordon

Postby Hatman » Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:26 pm

spargo19 wrote:The VAST majority of AHRMA racers can't just blow two weeks to go racing, which is what it takes to do that trip. Same reason I can't do Daytona since it went to the fall.

Somebody needs to wander the pits and take a poll on this one. I'd love to finally see the data, we keep seeing these back to backs like this, and, well, they're a lot harder on the racers that travel than anybody realizes.

Chris, I ask racers all the time about back-to-backs, as do other Trustees and the RRD. That feedback essentially matches what most racers can understand: the farther you have to travel, the more attractive back-to-back events are. For instance, I did NOLA and Tally last year since they were back-to-backs. I very much doubt we would have made the drive down for a stand-alone Tally. Same with Road America/Grattan. We'd probably do one and skip the other, but since they're back-to-back, we did both.

Let's face it, there's no way AHRMA (or anyone else) can put together a schedule that makes everyone happy. Heck, the 15 people who frequent this forum won't agree on the schedule, so you can be certain that there's no way 4,000 AHRMA members will all agree.

I'll say the same thing about the 2014 schedule that I did the 2013 schedule: we're now going to more AMA Pro-quality tracks than AMA Pro. Eight of our ten scheduled events will be at racetracks that have in the past or currently host AMA Pro races. I think that's a pretty impressive accomplishment.
Mark Hatten
Hatman

Postby DanMay » Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:29 pm

Just posted !
EXTRA! EXTRA! 2014 Road Race Schedule (tentative)
http://dev.ahrma.org/?p=6048

Feb 29 – March 2 -Roebling Road Raceway

March 28-30 - NOLA Motorsports Park

April 25-27 - Willow Springs Int’l Raceway

May 1-2 - Sonoma(Sears Point)

June 6-8 - Road America

June 13-15 - Grattan Raceway

July 11-13 - New Jersey Motorsports Park

August 29-31 - Miller Motorsports Park

October 9-12 - Barber Motorsports Park

October 17-19 - Daytona Int’l Speedway
Last edited by DanMay on Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Daniel May
AHRMA #934 - '72 BMW R50/5, '82 BMW R65LS
ECTA #9348 - '54 BMW R25/3
DanMay

Postby SteveThompson » Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:30 pm

Hatman wrote:I know it's the off-season, which means we can look forward to five months of bitching, but maybe we should wait until the schedule is released before we start ripping into it?

No.
Steve Thompson
Honda RS125
AHRMA #22R
WERA Expert #221
SteveThompson
Site Admin

Postby Junk Yard Dawg » Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:35 pm

Holy Jumping Catfish, just got home broke , and wore out, the Dawg is in a deep Coma on the hoist, and you guys are talking about the new schedule already, man you guys are hard core for sure. Not sure if the dawg's con-rods can take any more stretching at Daytona , but a tuner once told me longer rods in ratio to stroke is a good thing. Looking forward to 2014,

John Ellis
Junk Yard Dawg
F750
Junk Yard Dawg

Postby carl849 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:37 pm

Hatman wrote:Before we all get too bent out of shape, please keep in mind that the 2014 AHRMA schedule has not yet been released. So what "what I heard at the track", etc., is just that. But since Carl, who has seen the tentative schedule, weighed in, let me point out that there is four weeks between NOLA and Roebling. Hardly a back to back.

I know it's the off-season, which means we can look forward to five months of bitching, but maybe we should wait until the schedule is released before we start ripping into it?

The whole reason I did weigh in was to point out that what was unpleasant to Steve actually worked out well for me. With racers coming from all over, scenarios that suit one will not work for the next guy or gal. It's unavoidable. But as always, the RRD has provided a mix of some B2B, some not. She has done her best to please most of the people at least some of the time. And yes, we do again have an impressive selection of tracks, perhaps unrivaled in American roadracing today.
Carl Anderson
AHRMA roadracer 79
AHRMA dirt track 84R
carl849

Postby CharlesSteinman » Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:38 pm

Roebling.

At the risk of jinxing it, let's start now, hoping for warm and sunny. And no headwind down the straight.

C
Charlie Steinman
Austin, Texas
AHRMA #858
CharlesSteinman

Postby SteveThompson » Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:01 pm

carl849 wrote:
Hatman wrote:Before we all get too bent out of shape, please keep in mind that the 2014 AHRMA schedule has not yet been released. So what "what I heard at the track", etc., is just that. But since Carl, who has seen the tentative schedule, weighed in, let me point out that there is four weeks between NOLA and Roebling. Hardly a back to back.

The whole reason I did weigh in was to point out that what was unpleasant to Steve actually worked out well for me. With racers coming from all over, scenarios that suit one will not work for the next guy or gal. It's unavoidable. But as always, the RRD has provided a mix of some B2B, some not. She has done her best to please most of the people at least some of the time. And yes, we do again have an impressive selection of tracks, perhaps unrivaled in American roadracing today.

I was just messing with you. I hate the back to backs. Im not sure it is a distance thing any more than a stage in life thing. With a kid in school and a demanding job, the B2B's are often impossible.
Steve Thompson
Honda RS125
AHRMA #22R
WERA Expert #221
SteveThompson
Site Admin

Postby spargo19 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:14 pm

Junk Yard Dawg wrote:Holy Jumping Catfish, just got home broke , and wore out, the Dawg is in a deep Coma on the hoist, and you guys are talking about the new schedule already, man you guys are hard core for sure. Not sure if the dawg's con-rods can take any more stretching at Daytona , but a tuner once told me longer rods in ratio to stroke is a good thing. Looking forward to 2014,

I can't wait. I'm going to actually try and make my bike handle next year. Look out. Might even ride it some.
Christopher Spargo
Owner and racer of many two stroke motorcycles, among other maladies...
spargo19

Postby southsidejack » Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:13 pm

Personally, I am glad to see Roebling back. With sunny weather it is a nice place to ride and a good pit to camp in. A good place to sort out the bike for the season. Savannah isn't bad either.
Jack Mattlin
South Side Cycles
Lancaster Ohio
AHRMA #297
southsidejack

Postby Hatman » Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:21 pm

Junk Yard Dawg wrote:Holy Jumping Catfish, just got home broke , and wore out

Just got home from Daytona? Did you walk? ;)
Mark Hatten
Hatman

Postby Son_of_big_d » Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:49 am

spargo19 wrote:Somebody needs to wander the pits and take a poll on this one.

We circulated a petition of this nature at Barber last year. A lot of people put their John Hancock on it. It was frowned upon when presented to the BOD. I would like to say that the AHRMA crew noticeably stepped up their efforts this year and addressed a lot of concerns from the previous year. Cindy, Cal, Tony, Les, Coleen, and everyone else did a fantastic job this year. I noticed and appreciated the improvements. It is impossible to make everyone in the paddock happy, but they did a great job by smoothing a lot of issues out this year. Back to backs are tough for anyone with a family or a 9-5. I see both sides of the argument. I experienced Daytona for the first time this year, and it was obvious that AHRMA gets shortchanged at the event. I was excited to turn a wheel at such a historic track but it was anti-climatic after the big show at Barber. Regardless, I had a good time and it would not have been possible for me to be there without the generosity of Luke and Barbara Conner. It was cool, Daytona is cool; but we were under represented there as a racing organization. I think AHRMA is making steps in the right direction, your efforts have not gone unnoticed. Thanks to all involved.

**Edit**

Many thanks to Spargo for being on top of the points system and getting them posted quickly. I promise I won't send projectiles your way on track again.
Jerrett Martin
2012 Sportsman 750 Champion
2013 Thruxton Transatlantic Challenge Champion
Son_of_big_d

Postby CharlieYoung » Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:06 am

I like the schedule......and BRAVO for getting it together and out so early! Whomever pulled that off deserves some kudos.

Being from Atlanta, the only way I will ever make an event in Calif is a B2B.....One weekend just wouldnt be worth it for me.

I'm very hopeful for Road America, and if I make that, I may go to Grattan soley because its B2B with Road Am.

That idea of Gordons is genius.....we discussed lack of spectators anyway....if a B2B were set up like that, it would save me a couple days Vacation.

Just my 2c.
Charlie Young
AHRMA 798
WERA 798
CharlieYoung

Postby Junk Yard Dawg » Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:34 am

Mark, not sure what happened regarding my time to arrive home. Must have been some sort of Time Warp , as I left Daytona in 1813 , arrived home in 2013 !!
Very Strange, maybe too much JD ?

John Ellis
Junk Yard Dawg
F750
Junk Yard Dawg

Postby NYCNorton » Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:40 am

Junk Yard Dawg wrote:Mark, not sure what happened regarding my time to arrive home. Must have been some sort of Time Warp , as I left Daytona in 1813 , arrived home in 2013 !!

John Ellis
Junk Yard Dawg
F750

Dawg,

I thought you were on the single malt these days? Seems like you had a little Sake at Daytona!
--Kenny Cummings--
Holmeslice

Minnovation Racing
Comstock Engineering
Colorado Norton Works
Left Coast Racing

http://www.nycnorton.com
NYCNorton

Postby Hatman » Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:57 am

Junk Yard Dawg wrote:Mark, not sure what happened regarding my time to arrive home. Must have been some sort of Time Warp , as I left Daytona in 1813 , arrived home in 2013 !!

John Ellis
Junk Yard Dawg
F750

Or perhaps you were traveling with Big Bob? ;)
Mark Hatten
Hatman

Postby CharlieYoung » Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:08 am

No Tally is kind of a bummer....bit I understand the "world class" track thing.

Tally is like old faithful for us southeast guys. It fits the bill and aint expensive.
Charlie Young
AHRMA 798
WERA 798
CharlieYoung

Next

Return to Roadracing